Veronica Martinez joined the Cambridge Service Alliance in January 2014 to work in the Shift from products to services’ project. As part of her research in the Shift to services, Veronica produced a series of tools to help organisations Making and Sustaining the Shift to Services. One of these tools is the 'Service Strategy Model' and the 'Seven Critical Success Factors in the Shift to Services'. Veronica is a visiting professor at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany. Prior she worked at the Cranfield and Strathclyde Universities as researcher and lecturer. Her major research interests revolve around the fields of strategic service performance, value creation and performance measurement and management systems. Veronica has led and participated in large European and UK research projects in products and services. She works in multidisciplinary teams investigating and supporting organizations in their servitization journeys such as, MAN Trucks, Microlise, Roll-Royce, Rockwell, among others. Before her academic career, she worked in Daimler-Chrysler, Highland Spring, COMIMSA and Daks Group. Veronica is an active organizer of conferences' tracks and panel sessions in conferences such as Production and Operations Management, Academy of Management and PMA. She is a member of the manufacturing futures network. She is a permanent and occasional reviewer of high impact journals such as the international Journal of Production Economics, International Journal of Operations and Production Management and Production, Planning and Control.
Veronica has been working in the strategy management field since 1998 and has supervised more than 21 master, doctoral and post-doctoral students. Before her academic career, she worked in the automotive industry, where she coordinated the launching of a new manufacturing quality assurance system. Veronica has worked with organizations such as Daimler-Chrysler, Highland Spring and COMIMSA. She has also participated in different projects including European projects with Pegout, Fidia, Iparlat and EFESO.
Dr Veronica Martinez explains that UK manufacturing companies often cannot compete on price alone, while product differentiation is getting more difficult and expensive. Services are the key to creating a more diversified business and to building stronger customer relationships, she argues.
Servitization, or the ‘shift to services’, is one of three key streams of activity for Cambridge Service Alliance, along with ecosystem value mapping and data analysis.
Veronica suggests that in future, the interaction of systems, processes and technology will provide a route to ‘total solutions’ for customers. Examples mentioned are miniaturisation to drive connectivity of services, and mass personalisation.
- Raja J, Bourne D, Goffin K, Cakkol M, Martinez V (2013) Achieving Customer Satisfaction through Integrated Products and Services: An Exploratory Study . Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30 (6) 1128-1144.
- Goffin K, Raja JZ, Claes B, Szwejczewski M, Martinez V (2012) Rigor in qualitative supply chain management research: Lessons from applying repertory grid technique . International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 42 (8/9) 804-827.
- Macdonald E, Wilson H, Martinez V, Toossi A (2011) Assessing value-in-use: A conceptual framework and exploratory study . Industrial Marketing Management, 40 (5) 671-682.
- Martinez V, Bastl M, Kingston J, Evans E (2010) Challenges in transforming manufacturing organisations into product-service providers . Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 21 (4) 449-469.
- Peng T-J A, Lin N-J, Martinez V, Yu C-M J (2010) Managing Triads in a Military Avionics Service Maintenance Network in Taiwan . International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 30 (4) 398-422.
- Martinez V, Pavlov A, Bourne M (2010) Reviewing performance: an analysis of the structure and functions of performance management reviews. Production Planning & Control, 21 (1) 70-83.
- Baines TS, Lightfoot HW, Evans S, Neely A, Greenough R, Peppard J, Roy R, Shehab E, Braganza A, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Angus JP, Basti M, Cousens A, Irving P, Johnson M, Kingston J, Lockett H, Martinez V, Micheli P, Tranfield D, Walton IM, Wilson H (2007) State-of-the-art in product-service systems . Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B-Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 221 (10) 1543-1552.
- Franco-Santos M, Kennerley M, Micheli P, Martinez V, Mason S, Marr B, Gray D, Neely A (2007) Towards a definition of a business performance measurement system . International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 27 (8) 784-801.
- Martinez Veronica, Bititci Umit S (2006) Aligning value propositions in supply chains. . International Journal of Value Chain Management, 1 (1) 6-18.
- Martinez V (2006) Make promises that turn customers into loyal allies. Supply Chain Strategy, () -.
- Bromley M, Cuthbertson R, Martinez V, Kennerley M (2006) Performance management at EDF Energy: ambition into action. Measuring Business Excellence, 10 (3) 23-30.
- Bititci Umit S, Mendibil Kepa, Martinez Veronica, Albores Pavel (2005) Measuring and Managing Performance in Extended Enterprises . International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 25 (3-4) 333-353.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Kennerley M, Martinez V (2005) Reflections on the role, use and benefits of corporate performance measurement in the UK . Measuring Business Excellence, 9 (3) 36-41.
- Martinez V (2004) Performance measurement and management systems. ARLOG (Argentine Association of Logistics), () -.
- Bititci Umit S, Martinez Veronica, Albores Pavel, Parung Joniarto (2004) Creating and Managing Value in Collaborative Networks . International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 34 (3/4) 251-268.
- Trevor T, Martinez V, Bititci U (2004) Managing the value delivery processes . International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 34 (3-4) 302-318.
- Bititci U, Martinez V, Albores P, Mendible K (2003) Creating and Sustaining Competitive Advantage in Collaborative Systems: The What? And The How? . , 14 (5) 410-424.
- Langford D, Martinez V, Bititci U (2003) Best value in construction - towards an interpretation of value from client and constructor perspectives. Construction Procurement, 9 (1).
- Cakkol M, Johnson M, Martinez V, Shehab E (2010) Challenges for Integrating Suppliers into Product-Service Systems Design. Advances in Production Management Systems (APMS), Lake Como 03- 05 October 2010.
- Claes B, Martinez V (2010) Servitization Ecology; Changing Product-Centric Manufacturers To Become Product-Service Providers. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal 06- 10 August 2010.
- Martinez V, Pavlov A, Bourne M (2009) Reviewing performance: An analysis of the structure and functions of performance management reviews. PMA 2009 Performance Management Association Conference, Dunedin 14- 17 April 2009.
- Bourne M, Mura M, Franco-Santos M, Pavlov A, Martinez V, Lucianetti L (2009) Performance Management Practices and the Drivers of Business Performance. PMA 2009 Performance Management Association Conference, Dunedin 14- 17 April 2009.
- Martinez V, Bititci U (2009) A framework for understanding operational & strategic implications of product-service organisations. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Pavlov A, Martinez V, Lucianetti L (2008) Performance management practices and their impact on organisational performance: implications for HR and performance measurement research. EurOMA 15th Annual Conference, Groningen15- 18 June 2008.
- Martinez Veronica, Kennerley M (2007) Impact of performance management reviews: evidence from an energy supplier. . .
- Martinez V (2006) Effects of performance reviews. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta.
- Martinez V, Kennerley M (2005) Performance measurement systems: Benefits. EURAM Annual Conference, Munich.
- Martinez V (2004) Managing value creation at the CEO's level. Value - oder was versteht die Industrie unter Werttschofung?, Stuttgart.
- Martinez V, Kennerley M, Neely A (2004) Impact of performance measurement and management systems: a methodological approach. British Academy of Management Conference, St Andrews.
- Neely A, Kennerley M, Martinez V (2004) Does the balanced scorecard work: an empirical investigation. EurOMA International Conference, Fontainebleau.
- Neely A, Kennerley M, Martinez V (2004) Does the Balanced Scorecard work: An empirical investigation. PMA 2004 Conference, Edinburgh.
- Martinez V, Albores P (2003) Qualitative Research in OM: Criteria for evaluation . 10th EurOMA Conference, Lake Como 16- 18 June 2003.
- Martinez V (2003) Managing value creation - the 'value matrix and the value cube' frameworks to describe and create value. Improving Business Performance Conference, Glasgow.
- Albores P, Martinez V, Bititci U (2003) A proposed extended enterprise architecture and its implications for knowledge management. 10th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, Madeira.
- Martinez V, Albores P (2003) Performance indicators for the evaluation and control of research in OM: the qualitative research case. 3rd international workshop in performance measurement, Bergamo.
- Martinez V, Albores P (2003) Qualitative research in operations management: criteria for evaluation. EurOMA & POMS Joint International Conference, Lake Como.
- Bititci U, Martinez V, Albores P (2002) Creating and sustaining competitive advantage through collaborative systems. 2002 IFIP W.G. 5.7 Conference 'Advanced Production Management Systems', Eindhoven.
- Coscia E, Maiza M, HGauberti C, Arana J, Zufiaurre M, Meo F, Galassini M, Leveaux J, Smithers T, Bititci U, Martinez V, Albores P (2002) K-FLOW: Knowledge management in the extended manufacturing enterprise. 2002 e-business and e-work Conference, Prague.
- Martinez V, Bititci U (2002) The value cube, a tool to create value: origins and applications. IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, Cambridge.
- Martinez V, Bititci U, Carrie A (2001) Construction of the corporate architecture of the value cube. IFIP WG 5.7 International Working Conference on Strategic Manufacturing, Aalborg.
- Martinez V (2001) Creating sustainable advantage through the performance measurement of competencies and capabilities. International Manufacturing Conference-18: Competitive Manufacturing, Dublin.
- Martinez V, Bititci U (2001) The value matrix and its evolution. EurOMA Conference, Bath
- Martinez V, Lockett H, Toossi A (2011) Assessing the value-in-use of product-service systems: a step by step guide. Cranfield University/ EPSRC/IMRC.
- Martinez V, Kingston J, Evans S. Gaiardelli P, Raffoni A, Vladimirova D, Claes B (2011) Organisational transformation for effective delivery of integrated products and services: thoughts on practice. Cranfield University/EPSRC/IMRC.
- Martinez V, Turner T (2011) Designing competitive service models. Service Design and Delivery, Macintyre M, Parry G, Angelis J (ed.). Springer.
- Martinez V, Kennerley M (2007) Impact of performance management reviews: evidence from an energy supplier. Performance Management Systems: Case Studies, Ramani V. V. (ed.). The Icfai University Press.
- Martinez V, Neely A, Ren G, Smart A (2008) High Value Manufacturing in an Era of Globalisation. AIM Research/Technology Strategy Board.
- Martinez Veronica, Neely Andrew, Ren Guangjie, Smart Andi (2008) High Value Manufacturing:Delivering on the Promise. . . Advanced Institute of Management Research (AIM).
- Martinez Veronica, Kennerley Mike, Harpley Richard, Wakelen Richard, Hart Kathy, Webb James (2008) Impact of Performance Measurement and Management Systems. . . Cranfield School of Management.
- Bourne M, Franco-Santos M, Pavlov A, Lucianetti L, Martinez V, Mura M (2008) The impact of Investors In People and people management practices on firm performance. Cranfield University.
- Neely A, Micheli P, Martinez V (2006) Acting on information: lessons from theory and practice. National Audit Office.
- Martinez V. (2013); “60 seconds with Dr Veronica Martinez - The Value of Performance Measurement”
- Martinez V. (2013); “60 seconds with Dr Veronica Martinez - Overcoming the Pitfalls of Performance Measurement”